Sunday, December 21, 2008

About our „short” route to Australia


Tallinn, Estonia
Riga, L
atvia
Istanbul, Turkey
Doha, Qatar
Singapore
Perth, Aust
ralia



We left Estonia at Saturday evening and arrived to Perth on Tuesday early morning. So, we traveled 2-3 days. From Tallinn to Riga we went by bus. It was snowing when we stepped on the plane. In the capital of Latvia we met one Estonian guy who also went to Istanbul by AirBaltic plane. He also came to Australia but through different countries than us. It was his third time to come to Aussie. We flew together to Istanbul and then went our separate ways. We waited four hours and then flew to Doha. When we arrived to Doha I discovered something terrible. My wallet was gone! This meant that I had lost all my credit and debit cards, identification card, internet banking passwords, cash etc. I’m pretty sure I left it on the airplane cause the last time I saw it was on the plane. And I didn’t open my bags until then. We had 8 hours until the next flight, so I visited the information desk VERY often. But my wallet was not found :( I was extremely sad that my trip had started with a failure. But after a while I decided - this will not ruin my journey! Still, I came to Australia with no money :)

But let me tell you about Doha International Airport. It was really weird. Not the airport itself but the surroundings. People were walking around in linen „dresses” and their faces were all covered with headscarfs. They all had a strange smell and were very loud. Our plane was full of them. It was a bit uncomfortable being around them but then again – it was a new experience.
We flew with Qatar and Qantas Airlines. Both are five star air companies and their planes are provided with media centres and hot meals and drinks. So, we listened to music, watched films and the meals were also pretty tasty. We just enjoy flying :)


On Monday we were in Singapore airport which was really modern and beautiful. Singapore seemed great from the airplane also and everyone recommended to visit that place. Maybe we’ll do that on our way back home from Australia.

Finally, we flew from Singapore to Perth. We arrived 3 am and had to wait until the morning. Somehow we met there one American guy, Ted, who was a US marine. At first he seemed really friendly but then he got annoying. He wanted to do everything with us – go to lunch, go to the beach, stay at our hostel and so on. We let him take us to our hostel by taxi, we split the bill of course. Thank god, there were no available rooms in our hostel so he couldn’t stay there. Next day he left us a note to the reception and asked us to come to his apartment where we could stay for free.. Of course we didn’t go. We didn’t contact him and never saw him again.

Cost of plane ticket from Riga to Perth: 11 400.00 EEK
We actually got the tickets 2 000.00 kroons cheaper because we bought Estravel vouchers – what an easy way to save money :))

No comments:

Post a Comment